Thursday, June 19, 2008

Unexpected Fun

Monday, Jeff met me at the OBGYN's office for my check-up because we were expecting to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. The doctor didn't find the heartbeat right away, so she said, "Let's cheat & go use the ultrasound machine." So, we got an extra surprise peak at our baby. We saw the heart flickering it's little beats. We saw the arms and legs that are forming. It was a lot of fun. I was glad that Jeff was there for this bonus ultrasound.

The best part of the visit was receiving my official due date. Any guesses? Well, it's already a pretty busy day in our family. Based on the ultrasound that I had back in May, my due date is January 9th!!! I think somebody sure has a sense of humor. January 9th is already, Ian's birthday and my birthday (Lora's too)! I laughed so hard when she told me this was my due date. I really hope that this baby gets to have his/her own birthday. It'll be hard to do in my family in January though. We have a lot of January birthdays. It will be a bit of a bummer since I don't want this baby to come on the due date. Tyler & Claire were both born on their due dates, and all 3 of Melissa's kids were born on their due dates. I think it's kind of cool that all of the grandkids on my side of the family have been born on their due dates. I guess it would be OK to break the trend & have a baby on a day other than the due date. Heather's baby, Alexis, is due next Wednesday, so it'll be interesting to see if she is born on her due date or not. Maybe she'll be the one to break the trend. I guess I'll just have to wait & see.

8 comments:

The Kneeland Family said...

That is exciting that you got to hear and see the babys heartbeat Congrats. Even if the baby is born on your birthday it will still be special and it always works out.Congrats to you guys.

Mrs. R said...

How exciting! And too funny about the due date. It will be interesting to see when the baby is born!

Caroline Haring said...

Yeeeaaaaahhh!!! It's great to see that baby Cosme is doing well. That's a tough call on the due date. If it comes early it may come on Christmas or New Year's but who the heck wants to go late? I hope the baby comes on January 5th. Not too early, not too late. I can't believe Heather will be a mommy soon! Lots of good stuff happening!

Kristin said...

I love ultrasounds and those doctors can be so stingy with them. I am happy for you. How strange to have that date be the one above all others. I have only had one baby on my due date and that was because the doctor induced me. Good luck with everything.

Ilene said...

Congrats on the heart beat and ultra-sound!

My babies are very kind and so far they arrive earlier than their due date. That's fine by me though!

Jen said...

Wow, that's amazing, the percentage of babies actually born on their due date is only like 5% or something like that. Amazing, I am so happy for your little spud!! (Jarrod's word for all of our babies)

Lora said...

That is hilarious about the due date! One big party it could be, but let's hope it comes earlier so you can still have a birthday (if you know what I mean)! We need to get together this summer (really..... how close to we live to each other and how often do we see each other?!!! Let;s just do it!)!!

Mrs. R said...

Hey, I tagged you on my blog. :) You get to write a six word memoir. I had to do it, so I'm sharing the...er, fun. :)