It never fails. . . I guess I spoke too soon. Maybe I should have knocked on wood when writing my previous post. Yesterday was Easter Sunday. When I went to pick Tyler up from his Primary Class (children's sunday school) at church, I got there just in time to catch him eating a milk chocolate Easter egg. Luckily he only ate1 tiny bite. I hurried him out of the room & went to get the diaper bag with Tyler's medicine from Jeff. Unfortunately, the Epi-pens and Benadryl were still on the kitchen counter. (I had taken them out to send with Jeff when he took Tyler to the movies on Friday.) So we rushed home to give him some Benadryl. We gave him the Benadryl & he seemed fine. We took some family pictures in our Easter clothes. Shortly after that Tyler began complaining that he didn't feel well & that he was itchy all over. We inspected his body & found that he was bright red from head to toe and he had hives blistering up on his neck & shoulders. Then he began wheezing. At that point we had to give him his Epi-Pen. We grabbed some snacks, since we hadn't had lunch yet, and headed out to the ER.
We went to a different hospital than usual. This one was the county hospital & it was sooooo ghetto! We had to pass through a metal detector & have our bags inspected to enter the hospital. Apparently, this is the hospital where the inmates receive medical care because a few beds down from Tyler was a prisoner in an orange jumpsuit & handcuffs being guarded by a police officer. The man in the bed next to us got in a fight with his neighbor & had a head injury. He had about 20 different people in & out visiting him and every other word they spoke was the "F-Bomb." We will never go back to that place again!
Anyway, the nurses were all shocked that Tyler was still so red after his Epi-Pen. The doctor put Tyler on oxygen & gave him steroids. They kept him for a few hours to make sure he was OK & then we headed home to celebrate what was left of Easter. We were still able to have Aaron, Sheree & their kids over, just a few hours later than we originally planned. Tomorrow we'll have our Easter Egg hunt & decorate our Easter cookies. We will definitely remember this Easter for many years to come. Maybe Easter had to involve some drama since we had an uneventful, regular Valentine's Day this year! Who knows?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am glad Tyler is OK and you were able to have somewhat of an Easter. I bet you'll never forget this Easter - the one where your children learned the "F-word". Sweet.
I dont' know which is worse having to use the Epi Pen or going to that hospital. Both are scary.
Poor Tyler. He just wanted some chocolate. I totally understand. My body tends to blow up after eating it too; just in a different sort of way.
Oh my goodness. That was nice and Scary for you. What was that teacher thinking. Whew glad he didn't eat it all could you imagine? Good to hear all is well. And I am excited for some swimming. Just got to lose a few lbs. Ha!
I have a 4 year old daughter with a ton of food allergies - diagnosed when she was 6 month old.
I got an email from someone who reads my food blog directing me over here saying I should let you know about it. Anyway - imagine my surprise when I discovered that I know you guys - kind of. This is where it gets kind of strange - I dated Jeff in college! I wasn't sure I should leave a comment or not but finally decided to. Colleen if you ever want to share cooking tips or chat allergies, feel free to email. I know how terrifying it can be!bethanybbc@gmail.com
Post a Comment